Sunday, January 10, 2010

 

Tributes to The Old Man

It seems that the crossing of Ole' Man Cole has touched far more people than I ever realized. The many messages have arrived via email, telephone, cards, and bulletin board postings. To do them justice, I have decided to publish some of the emails and postings to share with you his power and his reach.

I, for one, was unaware that this quiet, always-in-the-background, reliable, and dependable horse had reached so many so deeply. His humor and challenges are greatly missed. To say he has left a hole in the barn is stating the obvious. I find that I counted on him. Counted on him to wait for me and greet me at the gates. To walk the fenceline to the barn with me. To talk to me and to "encourage" me to hurry with his meal. To push me - sometimes not so gently! - when he wanted out! To challenge me to be faster and better and more alert at times. He challenged me to be reliable in my work. And if I was late, he was very vocal about my tardiness! He was like a Father around here. Quietly in the background. Always watching. Ready to encourage me and to right me when I errored.

Others also saw in him the strength and grace that I thought were rather hidden. Others were touched deeply by this old, worn out horse. Their messages have brought me great comfort. And so I share them with you. May The Old Man creep into your heart this Sunday morning. May the spirit of Cole push at you a little this winter's morning. And nudge you a bit with his head. Nudge you to tell someone you love them . . . To spend a quiet moment in reflection . . . To spend some time in gratitude . . . Let the power of this Horse Minister work in you today.

I share these personal messages as a tribute to the horse we called Ole' Man Cole. But also to allow his power and magic to continue. . . .

"I am so sorry. =( He looked so wonderful the first time I saw him!"

"Oh Sandy! Just saw the BB (bulletin board) on Cole! Don't know what happened, but I just know yesterday must have been such an awful day for you, and for all the other horses in the barn! I'll be thinking of you,and I'm so sorry to hear the news!"


"Dearest Sandy, I am so sad about Cole. He was so special and had such a personality. I cannot imagine that there was or ever will be another such as him. He was so special in so many ways. I think that Andy missed him so much that he wanted him back, for Andy has seen that you have succeeded in doing what he wanted you to do with your life with the help of Ole' Man Cole. Now they both can rest peacefully and welcome each of both Herds as the time is right."

"Sandy, please accept Jim's and my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of Ole' Man Cole. He affected us very deeply. Our daughter-in-law ALWAYS asks about him and says he is her favorite. We just want you to know how sorry we are, but we can't wish him back because he isn't suffering any longer. Bless your heart and Ole' Man Cole's too!"


"You and Cole are the heart of all that is there. Created with love, labor, and endurance. Where would each of them be without the two of you? And Cole is with Andy and the part of the Herd that has crossed and waits for the rest as their time comes as well as ours."

"When we were at THE FARM today we walked over and spoke with Cole and told him how much he was missed."

"I hope the soup will help with the coldness inside. We are all so sad for us all! That wonderful old horse elicited such strong reactions from us! Bless his soul.
I think he will like to be in the middle of the yard where he can spot the Carrot Lady and her pal . . ."


"I am so glad I got to meet Cole. What a tremendous story, Sandy."

"I just read your blog and wanted to say I was sorry to hear about Ole' Man Cole. How wonderful it was for him to be with you his last days."

"Thank you, Sandy, for writing about Ole' Man Cole. It is beautiful - just like him. He was our topic of conversation when the kids came over last night. He was a force in many lives . . . "


"I'm so sorry about Cole. I so enjoyed him - it will be sad not to see him there - such a strong will with that guy - so gentle, loving, giving. Yes, I'm glad he's breathing fine now and running for his own self, but I'll miss seeing him. Not sure why he touched me so much, but he did. They all do in their different ways, some more than others. For me, he was one of the "mores"."

"He (Cole) surely knows that she loves him...he didn't leave right away because of the love bond and I think he wanted to make sure she was okay. The loves goes on and I'm sure he will visit her. And that is the main point - the love goes on, and on."


"I read about Ole' Man Cole and we all cried at our house! What a blessing he was! He is with God now! We all will miss him and we are so sorry!"

"I am so very sad to see the postings about Ole' Man Cole. (My daughter) is asleep but will be so so sad when I tell her the news. She had a thing for that horse. Remember when she chewed the apples for him . . .what a huge heart she has. He is in a happy place. A warm, sunny, loving place. Forever."


"All of our lives have been changed by knowing Cole. I use that name now because he is no longer OLD! He is young and vibrant, running and playing and Andy is probably riding with him this very minute. He was a testimony to acceptance and perseverance and made all of us chuckle a little with his continued interest in "his girlfriends"! Jump over a cloud for me, Cole!!!"

"So sorry to hear about Ole' Man Cole . . but, he is free now."


"Dear Ole' Man Cole. You are free. Again you can gallop and run to your heart's content. You can "chase" all the girls there with you or may "pick or choose". You are free, no more breathing problems, no more sore joints to slow you down. You can eat all that you desire and it tastes wonderful. All the treats you can eat - apples, carrots, alfalfa cubes, and anything else you desire and savor every bite. Dear Man, you are so loved and have brought joy, pleasure, and help to so many people that have come to you so that you could help them deal. Oh, Cole, how much we miss you, but know that you run with good health and all the "Children" that have gone before you and have been waiting for you to join them. It is heart-warming to know that all of you are there and one day even us humans will be there to play with all of you and enjoy your company and all that you still have to give to us. I love and miss you, Ole' Man Cole."

"Hi Sandy, The end is hard, but remember the journey. He ended it at a late age, very old, and in the best hands in the north; yours. Keep up the good work."
Doc Hoglund

"Please accept our sponsorship of the blanket containers for The Herd. We would like to donate them in memory of Ole' Man Cole and with thanks to you for your exceptional care of him. Our family was very taken with him. How do you explain that just one look at Cole and he would stay in your memory?"
Jim & Linda J. of Eau Claire, WI.



The memories of this old horse could fill a book. From the first sight of him to the very last. The years in between were generous with experiences and lessons from this, one of God's best creatures. Selfishly, I want to remember Cole as I saw him just this December 1st:


I took a good hard look at Ole' Man Cole this morning. His left rear ankle is still completely worn out. He has a new girlfriend now. Miss April. Stuck to her like glue. She seems fine with him, too. Go figure. His winter coat is full and long (due to his age) and his eyes are clear. Very little, if any, drainage from his nose. His appetite is good and his poop is a bit loose but its regular. He is fiesty and he jiggles a bit when I rub his ribs. He actually has a layer of fat on him going into winter. This medicine and this respirator have certainly worked their magic on Cole. I've never seen him - in all these years - look so good going into winter! Nice to see the old guy healthy and content. Worth all the work and worry.

The barn is a bit empty. The tears still come at inappropriate moments. The smiles come unexpectedly with a random memory. The blankets remain folded in a corner. The stories are told again and again. His grave is visible from every window. The snow and ice cover what will be a garden of heirloom flowers. The upright tree growing tall next to where Ole' Man Cole now lies is the Andy tree. Creating shade and protection for the tender plants that will adorn The Old Man. The two of them so close. To each other. To all of us.

Thanks, Andy. Thanks, Cole. Don't wander too far away.

Enjoy the journey of each and every day,
Sandy and The Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?