Sunday, October 29, 2006

 

Just Another Week at THE FARM


It's Sunday as I sit here and write this Blog entry. And it has been just another typical week here at Refuge Farms. I would use the word "normal", but we all know how poorly that word would fit here at THE FARM!

Our very first day of this week saw us hosting the 12th Birthday Party for Miss Taylor. Taylor had her 11th birthday party with us last October and we were in short sleeves on a sunny day with green leaves and a warm sun! This year we were wearing our winter jackets and gloves and drinking hot chocolate!

And once again, Taylor asked her guests to not bring a present for her (yup, you read that correctly!), but to instead bring a donation for THE FARM. I am amazed at the generosity of this class of students at Spring Valley. How well their parents are teaching them!

The friends of Taylor brought their gifts for THE FARM and Taylor chose the week of Christmas to be the week of her hay gift. Blessings to you, Taylor, for your gift of hay and for just being you...what a treasure you are. And how lucky I feel to watch you grow and blossom!

And then when Taylor's presents were over, a present is placed in front of me! And it's not even my birthday! Taylor and her Mom bought me a sterling pin with horses running - it's beautiful. And when I'm wearing it, it's like the horses are running right out of my chest! Like Taylor's Mom said, "We saw it and knew if was for Sandy." I love it, Taylor. And I wear it every day!!

The week continued on the same path - cold. Ice on the tops of the stock tanks and half inch frost in the fields. Tuesday we actually had a dusting of snow! In fact, I left tracks in the new, light snow on my way out to the barns in the morning!

It's way, way too early for this kind of cold up here! It's only October, for crying out loud! But for all the whining I've done lately, the weather is still brisk - no one seems to be listening to me! It seems more like November outside even though my calendar on the refrigerator door only shows me DukeDuke and April.

Our round bale delivery for the winter has not happened yet. And I'm doing my best to remain calm. After all, it's not 40 below outside! But I am depleting the winter store of small square bales keeping the herd content. I must feed something green as the grazing is gone and I'm sure what tiny bits of grass they do find out there don't taste good any more. As soon as we get a rainy day, the harvesting will have to pause and the first load of hay can be delivered. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm praying for rain!

Then on Tuesday evening, Big Guy came in to the barn for supper on only three legs. His right front was causing him pain. In fact, when I walked toward him, he lifted it to show me - just like a 2,400 pound dog putting out his paw to shake hands. Those big, brown eyes of his were sad and his eyebrows were wrinkled together. Just like someone else I used to care for. The expression on his face was crystal clear - "It hurts, mama. Please fix it."

I cleaned his foot and saw no puncture wounds. No sign or smell of thrush. No swelling to show me a sprain. And no cuts or evidence of a hit or kick on his leg anywhere. I searched with my eyes. I rubbed with my bare hands. I smelled with my nose right in his hair. No wound or bruise that I could see or feel or smell.

Cathi came out on Wednesday night and Big Guy received an Energy Healing Treatment. Don't really even know if I'm saying that correctly, but it was fascinating. Big Guy just stood there while this woman worked on him. She barely touched his leg, but she was sweating and working so hard...I was most impressed.

At one point, Big Guy got a bit restless and so we opened the barn door and he wandered outside to check with the rest of his pals. Once satisfied, he came back in to the barn and stood calmly next to Cathi. The big barn door remained open. Cathi completed the treatment. And Big Guy just stood there. Content. And close to Cathi.

I wandered to the other side of the barn to finish up the Helen Keller side after feeding and noticed the two of them still just standing there. You can tell when "it" is happening. And I knew it was that magic going on. I smiled and went about my business.

Times like this have not lost their amazement to me. Not a bit. I still stand in awe of these creatures. And their ability to touch us. And I'm bursting with joy when someone else sees or feels the same from them. What gifts these horses are and what gifts they bring! Wednesday night was a simple example of the enrichment in my life because of a few ragged horses and their ability to pull on you....gently but firmly....they pull you in and then wrap their big, forgiving hearts around you.

Throughout this entire week I have been aware that a bit of me is out on the East Coast. You see, Gayle Adams, the artist who created "Jerry, Working" and "Jerry, Retired" donated a print of "Jerry, Retired" to the auction of the Washington International Horse Show in Washington, D.C. As Gayle put it, our "Jerry is going to Washington, D.C. in all his elegance". The auction will benefit national and local charities, so Jerry is once again doing good works. Show them your stuff, J! I am proud of you!

The week ended with HALLOWEEN at THE FARM on Saturday and what a hoot that was! The costumes were outrageous! I had tears of laughter at our Fairy Godmother, our Angel, our Cat Woman, and of course our Cow! We had hot chocolate and apple cider and homemade cookies. The kids painted pumpkins to take home with them and there were apples to bob and marshmallows to roast. In general, it was just good fun with tons of laughter! New friends came and some familiar faces, too, were hidden under all that make-up! At least I think I knew some of those faces!!??

After the event, The 'Other' Herd did their typical thing - they cleaned up the yard and the barn like nothing had ever happened! Then it was hugs good-bye and I was back out to the barns to feed. In the quiet. In the peace of a clean barn filled with grateful animals. And a mind full of appreciation for this life that has become mine.

Oh, now don't think my life isn't with out stress and tears and worry and pain! I've got plenty on my platter! Believe me! But at the end of each day, I feed the herd and it sets me back on the straight again. It resettles me. Realigns me. And refreshes me.

I want to live forever! And I think the very best legacy that I can leave is to build this mission up strongly and firmly and then trust the next generations to take over. And then, yes, I will live forever! I'll live in the Memory Beds as they bloom in the spring. As the trees turn their colors in the fall. And as I run with my Jerry in the clouds!

It's been a typical week here at Refuge Farms- some stress, weather challenges, work done and more work to be done, and some worries. But on the hand there were times of laughter and fun, peace and contentment, healings and appreciation that was visible, and, of course, that magic that is always sitting just under the surface waiting to show you it's power!

So, here's to a typical week! May you all be so blessed!!!

Enjoy the journey of each and every day,
Sandy and The Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?