Friday, July 21, 2006

 

There is a difference....


Lately, I'm hearing myself say - outloud, at that! - statements like "I'm tired." "I need some sleep." "Is it Friday, yet?" and then that all telling line, "Oops, I forgot."

Now, please don't take this as me being weary or beaten up or totally overwhelmed or as a symptom of exhaustion. Nope! It is simply just what I am saying - I'm tired. Not tired of it all, not by a long shot! Just tired. There is a difference, you know.

Why so tired, you ask? This summer has been the summer of all TO DO LISTS. And why is that, you ask again? It's simple, I'm telling you. I'm tired because it never rains up here this summer!!! I have task lists that I created during the past winter months of things to be done during the summer when it's nice outside. Things like memory beds to construct and fences to repair and gardens to plant and garages to paint. All the things I noticed throughout the winter and can't wait to get to during the muddy season of spring!

And then summer hits! And we should have days of sunshine and the chances to get those outside chores completed. Usually, we get a week or so of good weather and then we usually get a rainy day or two. Then nice weather again and then a refreshing rainy day or two.

Not this summer!
Oh, heavens no! There is sunshine day after day after day after day... I have lists that I can throw away because the tasks are all done! And I have callouses and blisters and worn out gloves due to the constant outdoor work.

Now, it sounds like I'm complaining, I know. But wouldn't it be great to have a rainy day? A day when I could sit at my desk and make telephone calls and write letters and plan new programs without feeling that nagging guilt that I should be outside because it's nice outside....? Or better yet, a rainy day would allow me to be in bed by 11pm instead of finding me at my desk!

I know when the coming winter winds are blowing I will sit and write out another list of things to do during the summer of 2007 and I will be thrilled at my progress this summer! But really, I need a rainy day!

And the world around me needs a rainy days too. The crops in my neighborhood are ruined. Our yards are brown and crunchy and the threat of fire is scarey! And if it does sprinkle a drop or two on us, both Lady-the-Dog and I are standing in the driveway with our faces up to the clouds. Knowing full well that we look very silly, indeed, but doing it anyway! Right out in front of the barns for all to see! And the horses? Well, they are scooting outside trying to get the long needed baths they are used to and wanting so badly!

So yup, I'm tired. But more than that, I'm a bit worried. The price of hay is increasing each and every day. How many horses will be hungry or abandoned this winter because their owners cannot afford the hay? How many horses are hungry now because there are no pastures?

So whatever your beliefs, pray for rain. Join us in our Power of Positive thinking! Like the road sign in front of THE FARM reads:



Enjoy the journey of each and every day,
Sandy and the Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?