Saturday, April 22, 2006

 

An Eagle has landed!




Have you ever had that feeling in your gut that you're just about to take a huge step forward? You know, that intuition that tells you to hang on! Things are really going to start moving? And soon?

Now, I'm not talking just about wishful thinking here. No, I'm talking about the knowledge, that sure feeling, that comes with preparedness and planning and hard work and the faith that your opportunity is just around the corner!

Well, that is exactly how I feel about Refuge Farms. And last Saturday, I got one of those direct spiritual affirmations that I'm heading down the right path....And I had better be ready! Because we are about to take off!

It was early Saturday afternoon and some of us were hanging around THE FARM after our Spring Breakfast at Applebee's®. We were all smiling because we had just had a great event at a great supporter, the Menomonie Applebee's®.


The manager of the store, Jeff, has extended his support to us in a most generous way. And we love the chance to serve breakfast and catch up with all of our friends! This time we even had a couple of our horse ministers and Lady-The-Dog at the front door to the restaurant stationed as official greeters!

Everyone - even the horses and LTD - were in their Easter Bonnets! What a sight! Even better, was the fact that "we got slammed"! People were standing waiting for tables! Wonderful! At least for me! (You see, I wasn't in the kitchen!!!)

So, back at THE FARM, we were all still happy and exclaiming over the success of our breakfast and yes, a couple of us were complaining that our feet hurt...but with smiles!

Walking to the barn, I was stopped in my tracks. At the top of my voice I hollered for Kathy and Suzie the Gardener to "Come! Quick!" Sensing something was wrong, Kathy came flying with Suzie right behind her.

"Look! In the pasture! An eagle!"

And yes, there in the pasture - not more than 100 feet in front of us - was a large, male bald eagle searching the hay pile for a snack. Glorious in his white head, golden beak, and white tail feathers! He seemed so calm. He seemed so "right".

My heritage came flooding back to me.... You see, the American Indian believes that an eagle landing on your teepee brings the person who lives in that teepee one year of good fortune. "Well", I told everyone, "I consider my pasture my teepee!"

That eagle sat there for the longest time. And when he did move, he simply lifted himself up and moved to a fence post. What ease he moved with! His wings were enormous! So confident! And so very graceful! I certainly wouldn't want to be a mouse in my pasture today!!

Once again, I took his visit to be a symbol of good fortune. He stayed with us for over an hour. I looked and talked to him. Asking him to return..Please! And finally, he said good-bye and with awesome ease, simply lifted himself in to the air and moved over the hill.

Now some of you are saying, "It's just a bird, Sandy! Really!"

Yup. Just a bird. A huge bird with majestic wings! With a snow white head! Purely golden beak! And eyes that can see for miles! Talons that could kill a decent sized animal! And this "bird" chose my pasture to rest!!!

Sorry. But I refuse to say this creature is just a bird. He is reward! He is optimism! He is confidence and faith! He is excitement and anticipation! He is the message that good fortune is coming to Refuge Farms!

Call it whatever you will call it. I choose to believe my ancestors and live my life having a connection with other living creatures. And to see such an animal so spectacular and so close! And to have him rest on your teepee! It just must be an omen. A symbol that our work is paying off. That yes, we are making a difference!

We are making a difference on a little hill in Spring Valley, Wisconsin. With a herd of rejected horses. And a team of volunteers that will tackle anything put in front of them! And the faith that what we do matters. That this little corner of this huge world is better off because we believe in what we do. And what we stand for. And what we have to offer.

So - an Eagle has landed on my teepee! I am blessed! And as ready as I can be!!!

Enjoy the journey of each and every day,
Sandy and The Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?