Saturday, January 07, 2006

 

What will the New Year bring????




It's over. The big crystal ball in Times Square has dropped and has rested firmly on 2006. All of the parties and celebrations are done and the clean-up is completed. We are all, whether we like it or not, back in to our daily routines. The entire season of hosting and attending "get togethers" and gift giving and smiling at strangers and opening doors for other shoppers is behind us.

Not at Refuge Farms, it's not.

Each day is New Year's Day at The Farm. At least in my mind and heart it is. Every morning is a new beginning and every sunrise is another opportunity to start over. My dear friend Andy Durco told me once that I was born with a number - the number of heartbeats I was given for my entire lifetime. And, Andy cautioned me, don't waste even one of those heartbeats. Because once a heartbeat is over and past it's gone. Forever. Never to be used again.

When he told me that story, I politely smiled and nodded and let him go on. Now, years later, I see what my wise friend was telling me. He was passing on his conclusion after living his life. He was telling me his learning that life was fleeting. That an opportunity missed was gone and regret was not an option. That every single heartbeat was a chance to make a difference.

As I sit at my desk each evening pouring over numbers and counts and preparing to publish the Refuge Farms 2005 Financial Recap, I cannot help but review the year. The people who have visited us for the very first time in 2005. The people who returned again to see us and rekindle those original ties. The children who celebrated birthdays here at The Farm and made me feel 12 years old again as I ran through the sprinkler with them! The work of day-to-day tasks and the joy in seeing a clean barn and sparkling clear water in the stock tanks. The peace of surveying the herd in the cool of the evening. The joy of spending a night in the field with Jerry, the Roan Horse, under the light of the fullest, brightest moon ever.

I could go on and on about 2005. But this is my conclusion: We made a difference to people in 2005. We made a difference in the world in 2005. We taught a bit about tolerance and forgiveness and faith and respect for life. We laughed a lot in 2005. And lately, it seems we are crying a lot in 2005. But I would be no other place. I would have it no other way.

As I look forward to 2006 I see hard work and some worry and tensions, of course. Well, after all, that's just life! But overshadowing all of that stuff, I see smiling faces. I see eyes filling with tears of gratitude. I see sweaty brows of volunteers who give and give and give. I see plump bellies of salvaged horses who are our ministers.

But more than anything, I feel the hugs. The hugs I give and the hugs I get. THAT is why each day is a New Year's Day to me. Because each day I wonder who will be hugged today? Who will get a word of support and encouragement today? Who will spend time just resting on the shoulder of one of the ministers today? And find peace and acceptance and unconditional love on that shoulder?

So, here's to the very best for all of us in 2006! May we all know the peace of Big Guy, the determination of Bonita, the fire for life of Beauty, the spirit of Miss Bette, the softness of Josephina, the grace of Sweet Lady Gray, the tolerance of April, the forgiveness of Big Jim, the power to see of Unit, the wisdom of Cole, the health of Babee Joy, the youth of Lanna, the undying faith of Blaise, the playfulness of JeriAnn, the resilience of Halima, the spunk of PONY!, and the pure joy of living of Lady-the-Dog!

Enjoy the journey of each and every New Year's Day,
Sandy and The Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?